Sue, Ray and I didn’t go to the Iowa Horse Fair this weekend as planned. The weather forecasters are predicting a blizzard for central Iowa starting mid-day tomorrow, and we didn’t want to be driving a horse trailer through that for 250 miles, so we all opted to stay home. We will go to the MN Horse Expo the end of the month instead.
Although it was a bit breezy, we took Kay and Loki out for a nine mile jaunt. We did quite a bit of walking, since this was the first long drive of the season. There was also quite a bit of snow and ice on our local trail, so we had to be careful. The drilltec on their shoes helps with grip on ice, but we didn’t want to take chances. Both horses behaved pretty well, although Kay seemed determined to keep her nose close to the back of Ray’s cart. I spent quite a bit of time trying to convince her to move back a bit so that we have room to maneuver if something happened.
We let Kay, Loki, and Sunny graze on the lawn a bit while we got ready for the evening feeding.
The temperature was starting to drop as we finished evening chores. Pongo supervised.
We regret to inform everyone that due to the weather forecast for Iowa this weekend, we have made a group decision to cancel our attendance at Iowa Horse Fair.
Instead, we will plan to attend the Minnesota Horse Expo the last weekend in April, and already have our stall assignments!!!! So sorry to have to do this, but 30 degree weather and a snow storm in store for Sunday has compelled us to make this decision at the last minute. Hope it didn’t inconvenience anyone who was planning to attend!
Today we worked with all of the horses except Sporty. We started with Loki and Kay. I was curious to see how Kay would react with Loki driving near here with the cart. She was pretty calm abut it. Loki was calmer with me riding Kay than he normally is when I drive her. After about a mile-and-a-half, I stopped riding Kay, while Ray took Loki out for a few more miles. While he was gone, I got Sunny out and brushed her, then let her graze on the lawn with Kay.
Then we did some ground driving with Jimmy and Scarlet. Both were actually cooperative, for the most part. Scarlet had a few moments where she wanted to spin, but she would let me redirect her back he direction I wanted to go. Jimmy just wanted to go. Ray tried to get him to trot slowly, but Jimmy prefers to pace.
Today was a nice day in Southwest WI. Temperatures in the mid-40s, with sunshine and light wind most of the afternoon. We started the afternoon with Kay and Loki. Both of them seemed to appreciate getting out and working. Ray kept Loki behind Kay for most of the drive to try and keep Loki at a more reasonable speed. We did about three laps around our neighbors field.
We then got Jimmy and Sunny out. Both of them are starting to shed, but the rest of the herd isn’t. Ray did some ground driving with Jimmy and was able to get him to trot and pace. Jimmy seemed to relax while trotting, as his former owner said he would. I think after a few more sessions of ground driving we will be ready to hitch him to a cart.