We regret to inform everyone that due to the weather forecast for Iowa this weekend, we have made a group decision to cancel our attendance at Iowa Horse Fair.
Instead, we will plan to attend the Minnesota Horse Expo the last weekend in April, and already have our stall assignments!!!! So sorry to have to do this, but 30 degree weather and a snow storm in store for Sunday has compelled us to make this decision at the last minute. Hope it didn’t inconvenience anyone who was planning to attend!
Today we worked with all of the horses except Sporty. We started with Loki and Kay. I was curious to see how Kay would react with Loki driving near here with the cart. She was pretty calm abut it. Loki was calmer with me riding Kay than he normally is when I drive her. After about a mile-and-a-half, I stopped riding Kay, while Ray took Loki out for a few more miles. While he was gone, I got Sunny out and brushed her, then let her graze on the lawn with Kay.
Then we did some ground driving with Jimmy and Scarlet. Both were actually cooperative, for the most part. Scarlet had a few moments where she wanted to spin, but she would let me redirect her back he direction I wanted to go. Jimmy just wanted to go. Ray tried to get him to trot slowly, but Jimmy prefers to pace.
Today was a nice day in Southwest WI. Temperatures in the mid-40s, with sunshine and light wind most of the afternoon. We started the afternoon with Kay and Loki. Both of them seemed to appreciate getting out and working. Ray kept Loki behind Kay for most of the drive to try and keep Loki at a more reasonable speed. We did about three laps around our neighbors field.
We then got Jimmy and Sunny out. Both of them are starting to shed, but the rest of the herd isn’t. Ray did some ground driving with Jimmy and was able to get him to trot and pace. Jimmy seemed to relax while trotting, as his former owner said he would. I think after a few more sessions of ground driving we will be ready to hitch him to a cart.
As many of you know, Sparky somehow hurt his back leg almost a month ago. He was unable to bear weight on his left hind. He has been confined to a stall since his mishap, and a vet came out shortly after we noticed he was injured to take an xray.
Because the injury was in his stifle, Dr. Jan was unable to perform an xray. She did an exam and recommended euthanasia due to his age.
We started him on banamine, then bute. Two weeks in, we noticed no difference. Three weeks later, Sparky developed thrush in his front left. It was painful for him. We treated that and he rallied. We stopped the bute and started giving Previcox. One thing about Sparky – he never lost his appetite!!!! Yesterday I thought I saw him putting weight on the leg. Today when I came home he was walking on all fours! It isn’t perfect, but he is healing!!!!
Bob Again is still in quarantine. He has shown no signs of communicable disease. We want to schedule his ride north, but that will cost almost $900. We still owe the quarantine barn/shipper $875 plus another $168 in quarantine charges. We lack the funds to pay this without help.
We would like to sell some tack to make money for Bob Again’s return. Please PM or text Sue at 608-792-5126 if you are interested in coming to see what we have – there are English and Western saddles……..bridles, breast collars, tack galore. Due to my lack of time since I am teaching full time and caring for horses when I am not teaching, it would be best to have an open house policy where you could come on over and browse and make offers on things you see that you may like. Please help us help Bob Again!